Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Open Teacher - A Great Application from OpenSource

     From sourceforge.net, I downloaded Open Teacher. It is an opensource application that helps you learning a foreign language vocabulary. Just enter some words in your native and foreign language, and OpenTeacher tests you!
     When I opened this little application, I saw a nice interface which requiring me to set up the tests. Then I entered the "Title" of the test, "Question Language", and "Answer Language". The next step is to write what you want to learn about. Of course, a foreign language! Input whatever vocabularies you want to learn. Using a "=" to connect the two languages so that to set up a test later on. The left side is the Question Language and the right side is the Answer Language. For example, if I want to learn Apple in Chinese, I would input " Apple=苹果". Then, after setting up a number of vocabularies, I would be able to study them, or we can say test them. Click on the icon "Teach Me", Open Teacher would give you some study choices like question order, which allows you to translate from Question Language to Answer Language, or reverse order. You can also set up some study hints, which makes learning easier. The most important thing is that you can save the test when ever you want, and continue it the next time you open this application.
     It's been a few days since I used this software, and I think it is a very useful tool for students who want to study a foreign language in a special way. Further, I hope the soft ware could have its build-in tests so that students who don't want to set up tests by themselves can use it.

No comments:

Post a Comment